MEnU

"Thought it was Love"



A backslap in the face
On a cold, dreary day
I was flip with my lip
Back talking you, so you say

Thought it was love
Just turned up to a boil
Now, when you lift up your hand
I flinch way back and recoil

Your charismatic style
Makes you well liked socially
But why degrade out in public
Make crude jokes about me?

Thought it was love
Thought you cared so deeply
When you blackened both my eyes
For weeks it hurt just to see

You said jealousy is true love
I know this just has to be
When your love’s so intense
Love can make you angry

Thought it was love
When you corrected my speech
When you chose all my friends
Then for hours you’d preach

Nothing could reveal
That your love was not true
The scars on my back
Oh… they’re ‘love bruises’ from you

And that flight down the stairway
I could not negotiate
Hit the landing real hard
All ‘cuz your dinner was late

Well, my time has expired
I send one request up above
Please engrave on my ‘stone
The words - ‘Thought It Was Love’

Copyright © 2013 Cathy Bishop All Rights Reserved



***Abuse of any kind and on any level is unacceptable and NEVER okay.***
Call The National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE(7233)

No comments:

Post a Comment